Beaver Creek World Cup: Janka keeps super combi Swiss Switzerland goes 1-2 on first day of racing
December 5, 2009
BEAVER CREEK and#8212; The super combined at the Birds of Prey seems to be a Swiss thing.
Switzerland’s Daniel Albrecht won the event two years ago when it was last run at Beaver Creek, and Friday his teammates Carlo Janka and Didier Defago went 1-2 in the 2009 Birds of Prey super combined.
Janka, the defending super-combined world champion, picked up his third career World Cup win Friday with a time of 2 minutes, 32.26 seconds, 0.43 seconds ahead of Defago. Croatia’s Natko Zrncic-Dim was third in 2:32.75.
And since Albrecht is still recovering from a dreadful crash last season in Kitzbuehel, Austria, he’s not far from the Swiss Team’s collective mind.
and#8220;He wished my good luck for the race,and#8221; Janka said. and#8220;He went home Thursday and he watched the race maybe at home. It’s nice to win here after Daniel won here two years ago. I think the Swiss team can get some good results and make it easier for him to come back to the World Cup.and#8221;
Birds of Prey continues today with the downhill at 10 aa.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Our sister paper, the Vail Daily, is covering all the action and more at http://www.vaildaily.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee Tahoe Golf Tour: Cup champions crowned at Gray’s Crossing
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Course records shattered at Sierra Crest Ultra Run at Donner Summit
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Boat camping on Tahoe: A floating pleasure
- Tahoe Housing Trouble Part 2: Employers cite housing for inability to find employees
- Man identified in vehicle, rock crawling fatality
- Squaw claims victory in development lawsuit
- Truckee traffic report: Lane closures on I-80; one-way traffic on Route 89
- Nevada County’s first medical cannabis dispensary set to open