Big Blue Adventure opens season with ambitious lineup in Truckee-Tahoe
May 25, 2018
When it comes to putting on competitive events around the Truckee-Tahoe region, no one has quite done it like Big Blue Adventure.
From trail racing and open swims on the lake, to off-road triathlons and mountain bike races, the race organizers have outlined an ambitious schedule of events for the 2018 season, starting with an event every week from the season-opening Truckee Running Festival on Sunday, June 3, up until the Run to the Beach 10-kilomoeter race on the Fourth of July.
"We've got a pretty packed year with a mixture of trail races," said Director of Operations Bryan Rickards. "We've got a road race next week (June 10) with the Squaw Half and Run to Squaw 8 Miler, and then we've got XTERRA. It's one of the better months to fit it in, in the fact that we're not putting as great of impact on Tahoe-Truckee (compared to) July and August when we're so slammed with people. We're trying to utilize a little bit of the shoulder season."
Big Blue Adventure's Truckee Running Festival will open the season and will feature distances of a half marathon, 10 kilometers, and 5 kilometers. Roughly 350 runners are expected to compete across all disciplines, according to Rickards.
The event will be staged out of Riverview Sports Park and will be highlighted by the Waddle Ranch Half Marathon, taking runners on dirt roads and single track as racers make their way toward to the Waddle Ranch Preserve and back. The race will also serve as the Road Runners Club of America California State Championship and is part of the Trail Runner Trophy Series.
Perhaps most importantly, Big Blue Adventure opens the year again with a race benefitting the nonprofit Girls on the Run, which works to encourage girls through interactive lessons and running games.
Recommended Stories For You
"We're happy to continue that partnership with them," said Rickards. "That still is their biggest fundraiser of the entire year, so it's pretty important to all of us."
Registration for the half marathon is $70 and can be done at TahoeTrailRunning.com. The 5-kilomter race costs $45 and the 10-kilometer distance is $50.
From the Truckee Running Festival, Big Blue Adventure will transition into the following week's Squaw Valley Half Marathon and Run to Squaw 8 Miler, as the race organizers gear up for another season on the lake and in Truckee.
"Overall, the events have done really well," Rickards said on early registration numbers for the 2018 season. "We're up for almost every event as far as the number of participants so far."
Justin Scacco is a reporter for the Sierra Sun. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- U.S. Ski Team announces 2018-19 alpine nominations
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City