Champions crowned at 37th annual Incline Open at Incline Village Tennis Center
August 17, 2017
Local tennis players held court at Incline Village Tennis Center over the weekend, playing in the 37th annual Incline Open.
The tournament began on Friday, Aug. 11, and ended Sunday afternoon with the champions etching their names on the Incline Open trophy.
The players competing in the open were divided into A, B, C, and D divisions based on player skill level.
This year a new champion emerged from the top group of men's players as Adam Turner took the A Singles title, defeating John Merryfield in the finals over two sets, 6-1, 6-4.
After a year in which there were no women's singles champions from any category, Denise Kowal rebounded from a 2-6 loss in the first set of the finals to defeat Sheri Feast 6-3 in the second set. Kowal then claimed the Women's C Singles title in the tiebreak 10-4.
Bill Cesano claimed the championship out of the Men's B Singles with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Ron Cook; while in the Men's C Singles, Paul Bruso defeated Chris Tiller 6-1, 4-6, (11-9 tiebreak).
Recommended Stories For You
The open also included doubles play, where Dave Williams and Paul Niwano took the Men's A Doubles title in straight sets over Mark Frevert and Andy Bloom, 6-2, 6-3.
In the Women's B Doubles, Cindy Porath and Kathy Brown knocked off Donna Karam and Linda Richards in a back-and-forth match. The two dropped the first set 6-7, before rebounding to win the second 7-6. Porath and Brown then took the tiebreak and championship 12-10. There were no women competing in the A division for doubles.
In the Mixed A/B Doubles, Beth Gebhardt and John Burnett jumped out to an early advantage over Paula Powers and Robb Barnhart with a 6-1 victory in the opening set. Powers and Barnhart rebounded to win the following set 4-6, but Gebhardt and Burnett took the tiebreak 10-4 to win the championship.
Other winners included Jordan Feast and Sheri Feast — who was also runner-up in singles — out of Women's C Doubles, John Burnett and Mike Williams out of Men's B Doubles, Mun Lee and David Heldt-Werle out of Men's C Doubles, Chris Tiller and Shelli Tiller out of Mixed C Doubles, and Terry Bernardi and Carole Bernardi out of Mixed D Doubles.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge