Swimmers de Ryk, Crews compete at nationals
August 15, 2017
Two of Truckee's top swimmers traveled to East Meadow, N.Y. to match up against the nation's best 18-and-under long course swimmers at the Speedo Junior National Championships.
Truckee Tahoe Swim Team members Cooper de Ryk, 17, and Kaikea Crews, 14, qualified for three events each for the national championships, which ran from Tuesday, Aug. 8 to Saturday, Aug. 12.
De Ryk, who is one of Nevada's most decorated high school swimmers, would compete in the 100-meter freestyle, 100-meter butterfly and 50-meter freestyle at the meet.
He'd just miss the cutoff for the finals in the 100-meter butterfly, nearly hitting a personal record with a time of 55.91 seconds for 30th place out of 106 swimmers. The top 24 swimmers go into the final round of competition.
De Ryk would again find himself just on the outside of reaching the finals, this time in the 100-freestyle where he finished in 34th place out of 70 swimmers with a time of 52.33. De Ryk was disqualified in his 50-meter freestyle preliminary race.
Crews would swim in the 200-meter backstroke, 100-meter butterfly, and 100-meter backstroke, competing against swimmers up to four years older than him during the national meet.
Recommended Stories For You
Crews' best performance came in the 100-meter backstroke where he finished in 47th place against a field of 89 swimmers with a time of 59.02.
The Speedo Junior National Championships was the final event of the long course season for the Truckee Tahoe Swim Team, and according to Head Coach Cyrus Crews, marked an end to his second full year as coach of the squad.
"I am very proud, and love the support, community, and culture that is Truckee," said Crews in an email to the Sun. "Thanks to everyone for another fantastic year in the pool!"
The team will open short course season on Sept. 22-24 with the annual Beat the Freeze meet. For more information visit TruckeeSwim.com.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots