Cubs select Kaepernick in MLB draft
June 11, 2009
The MLB First-Year Player Draft came to a close Thursday morning with a low
number of Northern Nevada players taken, as expected.
The surprise of the final day came with the 1,310th pick of the draft when
the Chicago Cubs took Nevada standout junior quarterback Colin Kaepernick, a
6-6 right-hander who hasn’t pitched, or played baseball, since high school.
The only other Northern Nevada players to go on the final day were Wolf Pack
Recommended Stories For You
outfielder Westley Moss (Indians, 1025th pick) and Western Nevada second
baseman Jerome Pena (Mets, 1,214th pick).
Trending In: Sports
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Tahoe City moving forward with affordable housing project