Dayton turns back Truckee in showdown, 13-7
October 14, 2006
Brandon Aguilera broke a 38-yard touchdown run in the third quarter for the go-ahead score and Dayton’s opportunistic defense came up with two turnovers in the red zone inside the final four minutes to make the lead stand in a 13-7 win against Truckee in a Northern 3A football showdown on Saturday afternoon.
Dayton (3-0 conference, 7-0 overall) took over sole possession of first-place in a tight Northern 3A race.
It also marked the first time Dayton football had beaten Truckee ” the two-time defending 3A state champion ” and tied the school record for most wins in a single season.
Truckee (2-1 in conference, 4-3 overall) turned the ball over five times, the last two times inside the final four minutes ” on a fumble at the 1 and an interception at the 4.
“I told the kids it’s a tough loss. We should have won the game, 14-13. But with that said, you can’t go around with your head in the sand, with a ‘woe is me’ attitude,” Truckee coach Bob Shaffer said. “Now we’ve gotta go back and prepare for Spring Creek. We get to find out what kind of character we have.”
Tucker Nevin scored on a 73-yard run early in the third quarter to give Truckee a 7-3 lead.
Recommended Stories For You
Dayton 13, Truckee 7
Dayton 0 2 8 3 ” 13
Truckee 0 0 7 0 ” 7
D”Safety, intentional grounding in the end zone (in the grasp of Onstott), 4:34
T”Nevin 73 run (C, Esquivel kick), 7:31
D”Aguilera 38 run (Onstott pass from Wood), 4:51
D”Aguilera 34 field goal, 6:31
Rushing”Dayton (40-120): Aguilera 9-50, Feemster 13-28, Wood 7-22, Renya 7-20, Hopper 3-0. Truckee (33-166): Nevin 5-80, Sahlberg 13-63, Mazzini 6-15, Hodges 7-8.
Passing”Dayton: Wood 9-21-2-45. Truckee: Carter 1-11-2-2.
Receiving”Dayton: O’Brien 4-21, Aguilera 2-9, Vickers 1-9, Hopper 1-6, Onstott 1-0.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots