Freshmen lead Truckee girls in season-opening win over Sparks
December 6, 2017
The Truckee girls' basketball team jumped into Class 3A Northern League play to start the year, opening the season at home on Tuesday, Dec. 5 against Sparks.
The girls would start slowly against the Railroaders, but turned a one-point advantage at the end of the first quarter into a 64-31 victory.
Freshman Emma Cooley made a big statement in her first high school game, hitting four, 3-pointers for a team-high 20 points.
Freshman Lauren Tanner was next in scoring for Truckee with 10 points, followed by senior Isabella Abarno with seven points.
Truckee will next play four games at the Whittell tournament. The Wolverines will open the tournament on Thursday, Dec. 7, against Class 2A Incline (2-0). The Highlanders are fresh off a 46-37 win over South Tahoe.
Truckee will then play Class 1A Owyhee and Class 4A Hug in doubleheader action the following day, and then close the tournament against Whittell on Sat. Dec. 9.
Recommended Stories For You
Statistics provided by MaxPreps.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Halvorsen, Mullings win California-Nevada Nordic state championships
- Olympic preview: Truckee-Tahoe athletes reach Pyeongchang
- Sugar Bowl skiers capture Nordic state championships
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Bryce Bennett finishes 16th in men’s Olympic downhill
- Interstate 80 traffic backed up for miles because of snowstorm, road conditions
- California tax law woes mean Northern Nevada luxury spending is on the rise
- Truckee Planning Commission to review Grocery Outlet modification plan
- Update: Chain restrictions have been lifted for vehicles on I-80; trucks must carry chains
- Update: Chains required on I-80 from Nyack Road to the Nevada state line; westbound vehicles being turned at Donner Lake Interchange, Truckee due to spinouts