Girls’ basketball sweeps Sparks
January 22, 2004
The junior varsity and varsity girls’ basketball teams completed a sweep of Sparks on the road on Wednesday.
The varsity girls were led by Jackie Diaz’s nine points and Nicole Cardinali’s eight points in a 50-24 win in Sparks. Crysta Weed had seven rebounds and five steals, while Erica Rice swiped the ball from Sparks six times. Truckee’s defense forced 27 turnovers while pressing only in the first quarter. Tough pressure defense and fast break opportunities marked a high energy win for Truckee, improving its record to 5-6 on the season.
For the JV, Kelly Stephens scored 15 points to lead her team to a 36-24 victory. Corina Mincey chipped in with 12 points. Amanda Thorsby had five rebounds in the winning cause. Against a much improved Sparks JV squad, Truckee’s depth and defense overwhelmed Sparks. Truckee created many fast break opportunities using a full court press in the first half.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia