Girls soccer drops first game of year, but advances to finals
November 14, 2002
It wasn’t exactly the way coach Kyle Adams wanted to make it to Las Vegas this weekend, but it counts. After two decisive victories on Thursday and Friday night in the worst playing conditions possible, his team came out battered and tired on Saturday for the Northern 3A championship game and lost 1-0 in overtime to North Tahoe. Despite the loss, the Wolverines advance in the second seed to play the first seed from the south, Boulder City tomorrow night.
“In the playoffs, this is the game to lose,” Truckee coach Kyle Adams said. “We’ll focus our energies in practice on Tuesday and get fired up for Friday.”
With three days of play in driving wind and rain on the soggy fields of Lowry High School in Winnemucca, Nev., they beat Battle Mountain on Thursday 12-1 and Lowry on Friday 4-0 before Saturday’s first loss of the season.
Their record stands at 17-1, still the best in the north.
The North Tahoe game was battle in the midfield, with both teams making runs, but neither made goals. The game slipped into overtime tied 0-0, before the Lakers drew a foul five minutes into the overtime for a penalty kick.
“Once you get to golden goal time you don’t want the game to end that way” said John Hogg, the referee who made the call. “But I didn’t have a choice, the assistant [referee] and I both saw [the foul].”
Recommended Stories For You
They were two classy teams.”
The defending state champs may not have the first seed, but Las Vegas will most likely have much better weather than Winnemucca this weekend.
“I think we were flat,” said Truckee coach Kyle Adams, “We played in the rain all night long [Friday night] and it drained them.”
If Truckee defeats Boulder City in its semi-final game and North Tahoe beats Meadows, then the two rivals will meet again for the fourth time this season, and with the State Championship on the line. It is the most likely scenario considering North Tahoe and Truckee have won the title the past six years.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke