Incline golf | Highlanders impressive in mixed-division tournament
May 8, 2013
The Incline golf team finished first among Division III schools and fourth overall in a mixed-division tournament at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course in Stateline this past Friday.
A total of 17 schools and 92 golfers participated, with Division I-A Lowry taking the team win with a low score of 398 between its top five players. Elko was second, at 433, and Spring Creek third at 437. Incline was the top DIII school, posting a 438, while White Pine was right on the Highlanders' heels with a 443.
Mitchell Cornell led the Incline squad individually, tying for third with a 77. Incline's Bryan Golombik shot an 86, Dylan Smith and Kyle Reeves 88s, and Arjun Singh a 99.
Nick Marich of White Pine earned tournament medalist honors by firing a 74. Cole Erquiaga of Lowry was second with a 75. Cornell tied with Lowry's Ethan Gray and defending DIII state champ Ty Pickel of White Pine.
The Highlanders will compete in the Northern Division III regional tournament at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko on Wednesday, where they hope to qualify for the state championship tournament as a team by finishing among the top three.
Incline coach Joe Humasti said White Pine should be the Highlanders' main competition.
Recommended Stories For You
"Our goal is just to play consistent and be competitive," he said.
Trending In: Sports
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Wolverines sweep Dust Devils, improve to 6-0
- Pain McShlonkey returns to Squaw Valley this weekend
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list