Incline golfer signs with Missouri Valley
June 4, 2017
On Wednesday, May 31, Incline High School senior Christine Schwartz dotted her name on a letter of intent to join the Missouri Valley College girls' golf team.
Schwartz accepted a golf scholarship and joined the Vikings during a signing ceremony at Incline High School.
"Christine is an exceptional golfer, but she also showed a great deal of empathy and concern for her competitors, teammates, and coaches," said Head Coach Joe Humasti in a statement from the high school. "Her hard work and dedication to her sport earned her a golf scholarship, and we are very proud of her hard work."
Schwartz has been a staple for an Incline girls' team, which has won five straight Nevada state titles.
She finished her career off at Incline, playing in the NIAA 2A Nevada State Girls Golf Championship at Incline Village Golf Courses Championship Course on Oct. 11.
Schwartz shot a 23-over-par 95 to sit in third place after the first round of play. She then followed up with an 88 to edge third place by one stroke with a two-day total of 183.
Recommended Stories For You
Schwartz finished behind teammate and fellow senior Kennedy Cohn, who shot a 178; as Incline went on to add another girls' golfing title to the school's trophy case.
For her play this season, Schwartz was named the Viking's Most Valuable Player.
Her run at state caps off a four-year prep career at Incline where she finished in the top five at state three times.
As a junior, Schwartz finished in fifth place at the Nevada state championships. She placed third as a sophomore and ninth as a freshman.
Schwartz was also a three-year varsity player on the Highlanders' basketball team and was a starter during her junior and senior years. She was named team captain this season.
Missouri Valley College's girls' golf team plays in NAIA Division I and wrapped up their season with a sixth-place finish out of nine teams playing at the Heart of America Athletic Conference Championship on May 9.
The team will pick up play again next September for the start of the 2017-18 season.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- North Tahoe girls sweep podium at Alpine Meadows (GALLERY)
- Truckee snowboarder Toby Miller claims fourth at world championships
- Truckee boys pick up pair of wins ahead of season finale
- Truckee state baseball, soccer champions honored
- BREAKING NEWS: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)