Incline prep roundup: Volz, Rye qualify for state cross-country meet
November 2, 2016
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — For Incline senior Ursula Volz and junior Kate Rye, their next stop is state.
Volz navigated the course in 21 minutes, 36 seconds and Rye clocked in a few strides later at 21:43, finishing second and third, respectively, at the NIAA Northern Region cross-country championships Friday at Shadow Mountain Sports Complex in Sparks.
Volz nearly captured the individual title, finishing a mere three seconds behind region champion Quinn Lehmkuhl of North Tahoe.
On the boys side, the Highlanders' Ado Batmale finished in 33rd in 22:28. He was followed by teammates Brent Wolf in 38th (23:24) and Tom Omburg in 44th (25:09).
The Incline duo of Volz and Rye will compete in the NIAA State Championships on Saturday at Craig Ranch Regional Park in North Las Vegas.
Volleyball: Incline outlasts North Tahoe
Recommended Stories For You
In a back-and-forth affair, the Incline volleyball team prevailed, outlasting rival North Tahoe 3-2 in a 2A Northern League showdown last Thursday in Incline Village.
The Lady Lakers nabbed the first two sets (25-23 and 25-22), but the Highlanders countered with consecutive set wins (25-11 and 25-22) of their own to force the match to a decisive fifth set. There, Incline kept the pace with a 15-11 win.
Taylor Chaney and Madison Cronk propelled Incline with 11 kills apiece. Madeleine Saxe orchestrated the offense with 25 set assists.
Defensively, Serena Singh anchored the back row with 32 digs. Ellyse Kirkland collected 20 digs, Cronk and Saxe had 19 each and Chandler Cohn added 14.
Incline (8-7, 8-6) faces White Pine in the 2A Northern semifinals at 1:45 p.m. Saturday at Fernley High School.
Girls soccer: Lady Highlanders top Greenwave
Madio Wallner's first-half goal was all the Incline girls soccer team needed to push past Fallon 1-0 in its season finale last Thursday at Incline High School.
Incline (6-8-2, 2-5-1) will play Truckee (17-1, 8-0) at 3 p.m. Thursday in the first round of the 3A Northern playoffs in Winnemucca
Boys soccer: Incline thumps Fallon
The Incline boys soccer team rolled to a 15-0 rout of Fallon last Thursday at Incline High School.
Incline (12-5-4, 5-4-2) squares off with Sparks (20-2-1, 8-1-1) at 1 p.m. Thursday in the first round of the 3A Northern playoffs in Winnemucca.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers