Lake Tahoe Marathon death puts a damper on things
October 13, 2005
A 70-year-old Silver Springs, Nev., man died while participating in the Lake Tahoe Marathon 10K on Saturday.
Ross Bailey suffered a heart attack during the final mile of the 10K and despite efforts of paramedics and fire fighters to revive him, Bailey died on the scene.
Race director Les Wright said it is the first death in the 10-year history of the marathon.
Bailey collapsed near the Camp Richardson lodge, three-quarters of a mile from the finish line at Pope Beach. An emergency medical technician who was trailing Bailey in the 6.2-mile race attempted to revive the runner with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Fire fighters arrived shortly thereafter and they too couldn’t restart Bailey’s heart.
“It’s a sad moment; it puts a damper on things,” Wright said.
Unlike the uphill running necessary to complete the marathon and half marathon, the 10K sends competitors downhill from its picturesque starting point above Emerald Bay. Ninety-nine percent of the run is downhill, according to Wright.
Recommended Stories For You
Wright also recognized the runner and his family on his Web site ” laketahoemarathon.com.
“We extend our heartfelt sorrow to the family and friends of our fellow runner who passed away doing what he loved,” the Web site stated.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee’s Flynn finishes runner-up at state golf tourney
- Finishing strong: Bellon surpasses 3K career passing yards; Wolverines close regular season with Sierra Bowl
- Truckee football clinches first-round bye
- Truckee golf sends two players to state tourney
- Mercogliano surpasses 5,000 career passing yards in North Tahoe victory
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: North Tahoe Public Utility District (VIDEO)