Lakers girls tennis shows promise at season’s end
October 17, 2006
North Tahoe’s girls tennis team was represented by three of its members last week at the Northern Nevada Championships in Reno.
By winning four matches as a team, North Tahoe qualified to send on a singles player and one doubles team to the Oct. 12-13 postseason tournament.
Sophomore Anja Wittels was seeded No. 4 as a singles player.
Juniors Justine Multon and Lauren Robinson entered the tournament as North Tahoe’s doubles team but were not seeded because they competed as singles throughout the season.
Multon and Robinson lost in the first round to the No. 5 seed. The duo took the match to a second set tiebreaker.
Wittels won her first two matches, then faced the No. 1 seed from McQueen in the third round, where the sophomore finally was defeated.
Recommended Stories For You
Head Laker coach Michelle Wittels was pleased with the season, but acknowledged that this was a building year with a lot of youth.
“Next year we will do better,” the coach said.
With so many young players, many of whom were totally inexperienced before this season, Wittels hopes that future teams will build on this year’s postseason showing.
“In years to come our teams are going to be stronger and stronger,” she said.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list