Large field supports annual Turkey Trot
November 21, 2013
More than 200 people took part in Truckee's annual pre-Thanksgiving runs, the Donner Lake Turkey Trot and Mash Potato Mile, this past Saturday.
The 7-mile run around Donner Lake, and accompanying 1-mile run, serve as a fundraiser for the Auburn Ski Club and Far West Nordic.
Patrick Johnson, 24, took the win in the Turkey Trot in a time of 41 minutes, 56 seconds. Luis Barraza finished runner-up in 42:17 and was followed by Gus Johnson (42:19.3), Franz Bernstein (42:25.6) and Luis Contreras (43:17.5)
Kristin Walstad was the top woman and eighth overall in a time of 46:04.1. Caitlin Curran was the second woman and 10th overall in 47:28.2, and Tara Gallant was third (14th overall) in 48:36.6. They were trailed by Annie Rutledge (49:08) and Sarah McMahan (50:01.4).
Other top-10 finishers include Raymond Anderson (6th, 44:21.5), Ross McMahan (7th, 45:09.9) and Rob McClendon (9th, 47:22.1).
A total of 135 people finished the Turkey Trot, while another 40 completed the Mash Potato Mile. More than 40 people participated in the walking division.
Recommended Stories For You
Eleven-year-old Izzy Terrazas won the Mash Potato Mile in a time of 6:58.1. She was followed by Nate Cutler, 12, in 7:16.6, Max Gordon, 10, in 7:49.4, Addy McDermott, 12, in 7:54.1, and Bodhi Kzuyk, 10, in 7:55.9.
Find a photo gallery from the event at http://macbethgraphics.smugmug.com/RUNNING-COMPETITIONS/DONNER-LAKE-TURKEY-TROT-2013.
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting