Large turnout highlights youth track meet
June 10, 2015
"On your mark, get set — go!"
As we sprint toward the summer months, athletes from Glenshire and Truckee elementary schools sprinted into their third annual track and field meet at Truckee High School this past Sunday.
With a record turnout of 100-plus young athletes, coaches Darin Veliquette and Mike Pyle were over the moon about the sheer number of kids and families who helped make the event a success.
Veliquette — or Mr. V, as his students call him at Glenshire — created the program three years ago for athletes in the third through fifth grade.
"I love track," he said. "It's such a great sport where kids have the opportunity to try different things and have many choices."
The friendly competition included a wide variety of events such as sprints, relays, hurdles, long jump, high jump and shot put. It was enough to keep the athletes busy with smiles on their faces.
Recommended Stories For You
Although results were not available, it was the love for the sport that came in first.
Lexie Gross is a 17-year-old junior at Truckee High School and member of the girls tennis team.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list