Large turnout highlights youth track meet
June 10, 2015
"On your mark, get set — go!"
As we sprint toward the summer months, athletes from Glenshire and Truckee elementary schools sprinted into their third annual track and field meet at Truckee High School this past Sunday.
With a record turnout of 100-plus young athletes, coaches Darin Veliquette and Mike Pyle were over the moon about the sheer number of kids and families who helped make the event a success.
Veliquette — or Mr. V, as his students call him at Glenshire — created the program three years ago for athletes in the third through fifth grade.
"I love track," he said. "It's such a great sport where kids have the opportunity to try different things and have many choices."
The friendly competition included a wide variety of events such as sprints, relays, hurdles, long jump, high jump and shot put. It was enough to keep the athletes busy with smiles on their faces.
Recommended Stories For You
Although results were not available, it was the love for the sport that came in first.
Lexie Gross is a 17-year-old junior at Truckee High School and member of the girls tennis team.
Trending In: Sports
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Yosemite National Park route closed after fatal fire
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe