Monforte receives Jeff Wattenmaker Scholarship
June 16, 2015
Squaw Valley ski racer Nico Montforte was awarded the Jeff Wattenmaker Scholarship, worth $10,000, to be used toward college expenses.
Monforte, a 2013 North Tahoe High School grad, raced through the Far West U18 program before finding his niche in skicross. After a promising start to his career, he suffered a major injury while training in Europe.
Knowing he faced many months of physical therapy, Monforte enrolled at University of Nevada, Reno, last fall, focusing on a degree in mechanical engineering.
The Jeff Wattenmaker Scholarship is awarded yearly to a member of the Far West Masters Scholarship Program. A panel of five judges takes a look at each applicant in depth, using grades and test scores while also reaching out to coaches, teachers and peers to get a sense of character.
Jeff Wattenmaker initiated his namesake scholarship prior to his death in 2010. Wattenmaker was impressed with the Far West Masters Scholarship Program and its ideals. He loved ski racing and generously arranged to donate funds to expand the program.
Trending In: Sports
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Lake Tahoe-area resorts announce Friday as 2018-19 season opener
- Truckee’s Wolverines to face Greenwave for state championship
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Local business spearheading effort to help Camp Fire evacuees, first responders