Monforte receives Jeff Wattenmaker Scholarship
June 16, 2015
Squaw Valley ski racer Nico Montforte was awarded the Jeff Wattenmaker Scholarship, worth $10,000, to be used toward college expenses.
Monforte, a 2013 North Tahoe High School grad, raced through the Far West U18 program before finding his niche in skicross. After a promising start to his career, he suffered a major injury while training in Europe.
Knowing he faced many months of physical therapy, Monforte enrolled at University of Nevada, Reno, last fall, focusing on a degree in mechanical engineering.
The Jeff Wattenmaker Scholarship is awarded yearly to a member of the Far West Masters Scholarship Program. A panel of five judges takes a look at each applicant in depth, using grades and test scores while also reaching out to coaches, teachers and peers to get a sense of character.
Jeff Wattenmaker initiated his namesake scholarship prior to his death in 2010. Wattenmaker was impressed with the Far West Masters Scholarship Program and its ideals. He loved ski racing and generously arranged to donate funds to expand the program.
Trending In: Sports
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Bay Area siblings dominate day one of 37th Donner Lake Triathlon
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Grocery stores back on table for Truckee Town Council
- Truckee Town Council looks to restore McIver Dairy property