Nevada Wolf Pack notebook: Hall, Cooke score few points but make big plays
January 22, 2018
RENO — Josh Hall and Hallice Cooke only scored three points between them, but the duo made some big plays down the stretch to help Nevada hold off Boise State, 74-68, Saturday at Lawlor Events Center.
Cooke, the Iowa State transfer, played 29 minutes and scored two points but pulled down a season-best seven rebounds.
Hall played 14 minutes and finished with four rebounds and a single free throw
Cooke tied up a Boise State player with 1:27 left and Nevada holding on to a 68-67 lead. Hall came up with a defensive rebound in traffic with 31 seconds left was fouled, and then made a free throw to make it 70-67 with 29 seconds left.
CODY GETS IN
Cody Martin (Achilles strain) didn’t start the game, but he entered the contest with 14:20 left in the opening half. He had three rebounds, two assists and two steals in his first-half stint.
Recommended Stories For You
He finished with four points, three assists, three rebounds in 21 minutes before fouling out.
“He tried to get through practice Monday and had a little pain,” Musselman said. “We always shoot when we get to the next city. I wasn’t there because I went to watch my son’s high school game, and I got texts saying his foot was sore just from shooting. I didn’t want to play him against San Jose State.
“I was going to call his name some time in the first half. He told me it had tightened up a little. We’ll rest and see how it feels.”
TEN MAGIC NUMBER FOR BSU
The Broncos entered the Mountain West Conference season with a 10-2 record. This is the seventh time the Broncos have won 10-plus games during the non-conference season, and the fifth time under coach Leon Rice.
BY THE NUMBERS
Entering the game, Nevada’s RPI sat at 19 with a strength of schedule of 78 … The latest ESPN Bracketology has Nevada as a No. 8 seed playing Butler in the first round in Detroit … Saturday’s attendance of 11,164 was the largest crowd of the season and ranks 11th in school history … Jordan Caroline recorded his eighth double-double of the season and the 22nd of his career that is tied for the 10th most in school history. Nevada is 21-1 when Caroline posts a double-double … Nevada has had a 20-point scorer in 18 of the 21 games, and this was the 10th game that two Nevada players, Caroline (22) and Caleb Martin (28) eclipsed the 20-point mark.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit