Nordic skiing | Elias Bucher, Kara LaPoint claim wins in Paco’s Valentine’s Race
February 16, 2012
Blue skies greeted more than 65 Nordic skiers for the annual Paco’s Valentine’s Day Race at Tahoe Donner Cross Country this past Sunday.
Far West Farm Team racer Elias Bucher won the men’s 15-kilometer race in a time of 33:28 while Kara LaPoint, also of the Far West Farm Team, won the women’s race in 40:24.
Tav Streit finished runner-up in a time of 33:46 and Farm Team racer Gus Johnson rounded out the top three in 34:16. Jordan McElroy of Truckee High, who’s been a regular top finisher during the CNISSF season, was fourth in 34:44, followed by Zack Karas, Michael Collin, Wyatt Fereday, Peter Hanson, Joe Dengler and Drummond Lawson in 10th.
Cathy Howard fininshed runner-up to LaPoint in the women’s field with a time of 40:55, while Incline High senior Melanie Swick took third in 41:58. Mischel Twining was the fourth woman and was followed by Carolyn Tiernan, Elizabeth Esponnette, Helen Pelster, Wendy Lautner, Maggie Fillmore and Sandy Holbrook rounding out the top 10.
In the junior 4-kilometer race, Claire Lang-Ree claimed the win in 16:31. Lacey Norris was second in 23:42 and Natalie Lang-Ree third in 23:45.
Trending In: Sports
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Bay Area siblings dominate day one of 37th Donner Lake Triathlon
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Grocery stores back on table for Truckee Town Council
- Truckee Town Council looks to restore McIver Dairy property