North Tahoe basketball | Boys sweep through Whittell tournament
December 12, 2011
The North Tahoe boys wrapped up their tournament weekend with a 39-36 win over Sierra Lutheran on Saturday, finishing the Whittell Winter Invitational 3-0.
The Lakers beat ROP on Friday, 48-46, then turned around another win Saturday morning, 50-39, over Pyramid Lake.
and#8220;I’m very proud of our kids,and#8221; said first-year North Tahoe coach Dan Rosenfield. and#8220;I think we have to be happy.
and#8220;Basically, these guys won with hard work and guts.and#8221;
The Lakers started out down 19-2 against ROP on Friday evening, but a last-second shot to end the first quarter sparked a comeback for them.
North Tahoe took its third game to the final buzzer as well. Up 37-36 over Sierra Lutheran, the Lakers were able to get a handful of offensive rebounds in the final seconds, and eventually a basket, that secured the win for them. It was payback for the Lakers, who lost to Sierra Lutheran in the final seconds last week.
Recommended Stories For You
and#8220;I thought there were kids that went out there with everything they got,and#8221; Rosenfield said. and#8220;I think these were two evenly matched teams that played really hard.
and#8220;We made one more play at the end.and#8221;
Going into the Whittell tourney, the team didn’t expect to leave undefeated.
and#8220;We all thought we were going to lose to ROP,and#8221; said Raul Alonzo. and#8220;We’re just going to try and keep getting better and ride this confidence for the next couple games and carry it into league.and#8221;
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- North Tahoe girls sweep podium at Alpine Meadows (GALLERY)
- Truckee snowboarder Toby Miller claims fourth at world championships
- Truckee boys pick up pair of wins ahead of season finale
- Truckee state baseball, soccer champions honored
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week