North Tahoe clobbers Coral Academy of Science — Reno
September 6, 2017
North Tahoe's football team improved to 2-0 on the season, with a 42-0 rout of Coral Academy of Science — Reno on Saturday, Sept. 2.
The victory give the school its first 2-0 start since the 2013 campaign, and has the Lakers on a six-game winning streak dating back to last season.
Junior Cameron Rock set the tone early on for North Tahoe, returning the opening kickoff 58 yards for a touchdown.
The Lakers would go on to add three more touchdowns before the quarter ended to hold a 28-0 lead going into the second period.
North Tahoe then added another touchdown in the second quarter, and one in the fourth as the Lakers cruised to their second win of the year.
Junior quarterback Thomas Mercogliano backed up his week one performance with another solid game, going 16 of 19 through the air for 207 yards and a pair of touchdown passes.
Recommended Stories For You
Mercogliano also led the team on the ground with 10 carries for 156 yards and two touchdowns.
Juniors Tony Frankenberg and Dalton Lamberth rushed for touchdowns during the game. Lamberth led all receivers with nine catches for 64 yards. Junior Eli Snyder added 109 yards off his five catches.
Defensively, junior Joe Pierce led the Lakers with seven tackles. Junior Raul Estrada added a pair of interceptions in the game, while Frankenberg also picked off a pass. Sophomore Uriel Parra recorded the game's only sack when he dropped Coral Academy senior quarterback Bernard Rongcal.
North Tahoe (2-0) will again be at home for their next game against Valley Christian (0-1). Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 9 at 1 p.m.
Statistics provided by MaxPreps.com.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit