North Tahoe football drops road game at Smith Valley
September 6, 2016
SMITH, Calif. — Trailing 14-8 at halftime, the North Tahoe football team was looking to turn the tides in the second half against Smith Valley.
And then the third quarter happened. There, Smith Valley erupted for 28 unanswered points, and the Lakers never recovered in a 50-8 loss Saturday afternoon.
North Tahoe's lone touchdown came in the second quarter when senior Brett Hurt slipped three tackles at the line of scrimmage and broke free for a 40-yard score. Hurt, who rushed for 106 yards on 11 carries, also provided the two-point conversion with a plunge up the middle.
Lakers quarterback Thomas Mercogliano provided the bulk of the offense with 168 yards rushing and 29 yards passing, completing 2 of 5 attempts. The sophomore also led the defense with 14 tackles.
North Tahoe (0-2) is back on the road Saturday as it travels to Owyhee (0-1) for a noon showdown.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Lake Tahoe bike ride raises $4.7 million for cancer research
- Truckee River to remain low near Tahoe City