North Tahoe football posts first win in 3 years with 58-0 rout of Owyhee
September 12, 2016
OWYHEE, Nev. — Thomas Mercogliano might still be racking up yards.
The dual-threat quarterback erupted for a staggering 328 rushing yards and threw for 75 more, anchoring the North Tahoe football team to a 58-0 shutout win over Owyhee on Saturday.
Mercogliano's offensive outburst included four touchdowns — two on the ground and two through the air. His head-turning 328 yards on the ground came on just 16 attempts (20.5 yards per carry).
The sophomore's 75 passing yards came on a 6-of-8 outing with no interceptions.
Mercogliano wasted no time igniting North Tahoe's offense, taking a sweep 50 yards to paydirt with 8 minutes, 13 seconds left in the first quarter. From there, the Lakers (1-2) never let up in their rout of the Braves (0-2).
Adding to the offense, the Lakers' Brett Hurt galloped in a team-high three touchdowns while rushing for 140 yards.
Recommended Stories For You
Aidan Fenton, who rushed for 24 yards, also trotted in a Lakers touchdown.
Defensively, middle linebacker Eli Snyder led the way with a game-high nine tackles. Linemen Ethan Everist and Dalton Lamberth made seven tackles apiece. Lamberth added a fumble recovery.
The win snapped North Tahoe's 14-game losing streak. The Lakers — who didn't play in 2014 due to lack of players — last tasted victory on Sept. 6, 2013, in a 53-40 win at Whittell.
North Tahoe, which is off this week, returns to action Saturday, Sept. 24, when it hosts Tonopah for its homecoming game. Kickoff is at 11 a.m. in Tahoe City.
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Truckee women claim XTERRA titles
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Truckee native and family kick off tribute tour around the country
- Truckee High School Class of 2018 goes out in style