North Tahoe girls basketball: Lakers to host inaugural tournament
December 3, 2009
The North Tahoe girls basketball team will host the inaugural Tahoe Invitational Tipoff Tournament from Thursday through Saturday.
The tournament will include eight varsity teams from schools throughout California and Nevada, all of which have fewer than 500 students, said Lakers head coach Scott Conn.
and#8220;There’s a wide spectrum of schools from all over the place, which is neat,and#8221; Conn said. and#8220;I expect we’ll see multiple different styles of play.and#8221;
While some of the teams are local, like Incline and Loyalton (Calif.), other teams will travel hundreds of miles for the tournament and#8212; like the Liberty Christian Patriots of Redding (Calif.).
Other teams include the Julian Eagles (Julian, Calif.), the Lutheran Panthers (Elk Grove, Calif.), the Silver Stage Nighthawks (Silver Springs, Nev.), and the Smith Valley Bulldogs (Smith, Nev.).
Each team is guaranteed a game each day of the tournament, which tips off with two games simultaneously and#8212; thanks to the middle school gym in addition to the high school gym and#8212; on Thursday at 4 p.m. Another pair of games will take place at 6 p.m. in both gyms.
Recommended Stories For You
After the opening evening of the tournament, Conn and the Lakers will host all the teams at a pasta feed dinner at Jake’s on the Lake in Tahoe City.
and#8220;We’re trying to create an atmosphere where people want to come back,and#8221; the coach said.
Competition continues Friday with games again scheduled for 4 and 6 p.m. The championship and consolation games will he held Saturday at noon and 2 p.m.
Game 1: Incline vs. Liberty Christian, 4 p.m.
Game 2: Smith Valley vs. Julian, 6 p.m.
Game 3: Lutheran vs. Loyalton, 4 p.m.
Game 4: Silver Stage vs. North Tahoe, 6 p.m.
Game 5: Loser 1 vs. Loser 2, 4 p.m.
Game 6: Winner 1 vs. Winner 2, 6 p.m.
Game 7: Loser 3 vs. Loser 4, 4 p.m.
Game 8: Winner 3 vs. Winner 4, 6 p.m.
Game 9: Winner 5 vs. Winner 7 (consolation), 2 p.m.
Game 10: Winner 6 vs. Winner 8 (championship), 2 p.m.
Game 11: Loser 5 vs. Loser 7 (7th place), noon
Game 12: Loser 6 vs. Loser 8 (3rd place), noon
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting