North Tahoe High Lakers soccer teams dominate league openers
September 8, 2017
The North Tahoe boys' soccer team shined in their league opener with a dominant 8-0 win over Churchill County on Wednesday, Sept. 6, to open play in the Class 3A Northern League.
Andres Cerda led the way with four goals for the Lakers, which was buoyed by Hector Vera coming off the bench to add another three goals. Carlos Preciado scored the team's final goal.
"Fallon is young and they let us play," Head Coach Beto Alcaraz said. "We were not under any pressure, and that's why we were able to move the ball pretty well."
Coming into the game Alcaraz said there was concern with the team's mindset against a young Greenwave team.
"We have a tendency to come out flat against these teams," Alcaraz said. "We get arrogant and think we can walk all over these teams. We came out really well from the start."
The Lakers would tally seven goals in the first half, and it could've been more, according to Alcaraz, with several missed opportunities at the net.
The Lakers final goal came in the second half, and forced an end to the game via mercy rule after the 60th minute (if a team has an eight-goal lead the game is called to an end at 60 minutes, opposed to the usual 80-minute match).
Third-year goalie, junior Koby Mattson kept a clean sheet, and wasn't tested during the game by the Greenwave offense.
The Lakers win improves the squad's record to 1-2, as the team bounced back from non-league losses to Class 4A school's North Valleys and Hug.
The Lakers will next host Lowry (2-0, 0-0 Northern League) at 9:45 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 9.
"Overall, as a team, we looked really good," Alcaraz said. "We'll see Saturday at Lowry. They're very unpredictable, but I'm pretty sure they'll be better than the last team we played. I'm not concerned about the opponent, I'm concerned about ourselves – how we are going to play."
The Lady Lakers were also on the road against Churchill County on Wednesday, and picked up a 6-2 victory over the Greenwave in the team's Class 3A Northern League opener. Statistics for the girls' game were not available.
Trending In: Sports
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener
- Truckee’s Luebke begins quest for Freeride 4-peat
- (VIDEO) North Tahoe boys remain unbeaten on the mountain, Truckee girls pick up second win of season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Prep roundup: Truckee girls look for fifth straight win
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport