North Tahoe softball, baseball: Lakers end regular season at Silver Stage
May 12, 2016
North Tahoe's softball team ended its 2016 campaign with a pair of league losses at Silver Stage on Tuesday, 6-5 and 22-12.
The Lakers played one of their better games of the year in the 6-5 contest, as they led most of the way before the Nighthawks pulled away late for the victory.
Jasmine Strydom was sharp in the circle. She pitched a complete game, holding the hosts to nine hits and two walks while striking out eight.
North Tahoe outhit Silver Stage 12-9, with Patty Lara leading the offensive charge with a 3-for-4 game with solo a home run. Cate Hopwood also went 3-for-4, and Strydom was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI.
Fabi Barajas contributed a double, and Maria Blanco, Kaylee Bustos and Olivia Van Huessen each singled.
The Lakers racked up 15 hits in the other game of the doubleheader.
Recommended Stories For You
Blanco swung the hottest bat, finishing 4-for-4 with a double, triple and three RBIs. Lara and Strydon both had two hits and two RBIs, Bustos and Tarni Schott each had two hits and an RBI, and Crystal Soto Ramirez and Barajas each drove in one run on one hit. Hopwood also had a hit.
The Nighthawks finished with 25 hits and jumped out to an early lead with a seven-run first inning and a five-run second.
The teams also played a game at North Tahoe on Monday, but the result of that contest was not available.
The North Tahoe baseball team split its doubleheader at Silver Stage on Tuesday, dropping the first game 8-6 and winning the second 22-7. With the split the Lakers took the season series, two games to one.
Stats were not available.
The Lakers, who secured the No. 4 playoff seed with Monday's win over the Nighthawks, posted a final record of 7-11 in the Northern Division III.
They'll face top-seeded Yerington, which owns a perfect 18-0 league record, in the opening round of the regional postseason tournament in Lovelock on Friday at 9 a.m. The tournament continues Saturday, with the top two teams advancing to the state championships.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe races recognized by nation’s oldest association of running organizations
- North Tahoe’s Anderson, Murnane win high school Nordic opener at Sugar Bowl
- Lakers skiers look to continue winning ways at Alpine Meadows
- Ski wrap: Hurt leads Nor-Am Cup standings as tour heads to US
- North Tahoe’s Lady Lakers ride to second straight slalom win at Alpine Meadows
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Truckee fire truck stolen, crashed in Tahoe City
- Town of Truckee looking to relocate downtown transit center
- Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe now serves as a lakewide pet care, resource network
- Chief’s Corner: How to stay on the road, and safe, this winter