North Tahoe volleyball: Highlanders end Lakers’ season at regionals
November 11, 2015
The North Tahoe volleyball team enjoyed a good run that came to an end against a familiar rival.
A No. 3 seed in the Northern Division III regional championships at Yerington on Saturday, the Lakers fell in four sets to second-seeded Incline, 13-25, 14-25, 25-20, 18-25, in the semifinal round.
The loss eliminated the Lakers from the postseason. The Highlanders, who went on to lose to top-seeded Yerington in five sets in the regional final, qualified for state as a No. 2 seed.
In the end there was just too much Kira Porter for North Tahoe to handle. Incline's standout senior dominated the match with 18 kills and nine blocks, while the Highlanders recorded 17 blocks as a team.
As they have all season, the Lakers also competed with a minimal roster of just seven players.
North Tahoe senior Jordan Briggs tallied eight kills and 20 serve returns to go along with her two service aces and two blocks. Tilley Gibeaut finished with six kills and three aces, Rikki Partain had five kills, three aces, 17 digs and 14 serve returns, Helana Kearns had 10 digs and 22 serve returns, and Jillian Argiris had three kills and two blocks. Jamie Dodge added 22 assists, two aces and 10 digs.
Recommended Stories For You
The Lakers, who split their two regular-season meetings with the Highlanders, finished the season 17-5 overall and 9-3 in league.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Truckee River to remain low near Tahoe City
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City