North Tahoe volleyball: Highlanders end Lakers’ season at regionals
November 11, 2015
The North Tahoe volleyball team enjoyed a good run that came to an end against a familiar rival.
A No. 3 seed in the Northern Division III regional championships at Yerington on Saturday, the Lakers fell in four sets to second-seeded Incline, 13-25, 14-25, 25-20, 18-25, in the semifinal round.
The loss eliminated the Lakers from the postseason. The Highlanders, who went on to lose to top-seeded Yerington in five sets in the regional final, qualified for state as a No. 2 seed.
In the end there was just too much Kira Porter for North Tahoe to handle. Incline's standout senior dominated the match with 18 kills and nine blocks, while the Highlanders recorded 17 blocks as a team.
As they have all season, the Lakers also competed with a minimal roster of just seven players.
North Tahoe senior Jordan Briggs tallied eight kills and 20 serve returns to go along with her two service aces and two blocks. Tilley Gibeaut finished with six kills and three aces, Rikki Partain had five kills, three aces, 17 digs and 14 serve returns, Helana Kearns had 10 digs and 22 serve returns, and Jillian Argiris had three kills and two blocks. Jamie Dodge added 22 assists, two aces and 10 digs.
Recommended Stories For You
The Lakers, who split their two regular-season meetings with the Highlanders, finished the season 17-5 overall and 9-3 in league.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list