Old Brockway Golf Course set for earliest opening in 91-year history
February 2, 2015
Since its inception in the height of the Roaring Twenties, Old Brockway Golf Course has prided itself on its early-season openings.
But with Lake Tahoe mired in its fourth consecutive meager winter, the historic nine-hole course in Kings Beach is redefining early.
Old Brockway is set to open all nine holes plus its driving range this Saturday, Jan. 31. The date smashes the previous earliest-opening record of March 15, set last year. The record before that was March 16, set in 2013.
"I'm hoping for some snow. I don't want to be open this early, but the opportunity presented itself," said Lane Lewis, owner of Old Brockway. "People have been asking us to open, and the course is in great shape."
Lewis said the course — which had its latest-ever opening on May 27 during the heavy snow year of 1982 — will remain open during the week as long as conditions remain dry. Lewis typically tries to open by the PGA's Masters weekend in early April.
Cost is $30 for nine holes and $50 for 18. Call 530-546-9909 to reserve a spot.
Trending In: Sports
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener
- Truckee’s Luebke begins quest for Freeride 4-peat
- (VIDEO) North Tahoe boys remain unbeaten on the mountain, Truckee girls pick up second win of season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Prep roundup: Truckee girls look for fifth straight win
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow