Old Brockway Golf Course set for earliest opening in 91-year history
February 2, 2015
Since its inception in the height of the Roaring Twenties, Old Brockway Golf Course has prided itself on its early-season openings.
But with Lake Tahoe mired in its fourth consecutive meager winter, the historic nine-hole course in Kings Beach is redefining early.
Old Brockway is set to open all nine holes plus its driving range this Saturday, Jan. 31. The date smashes the previous earliest-opening record of March 15, set last year. The record before that was March 16, set in 2013.
"I'm hoping for some snow. I don't want to be open this early, but the opportunity presented itself," said Lane Lewis, owner of Old Brockway. "People have been asking us to open, and the course is in great shape."
Lewis said the course — which had its latest-ever opening on May 27 during the heavy snow year of 1982 — will remain open during the week as long as conditions remain dry. Lewis typically tries to open by the PGA's Masters weekend in early April.
Cost is $30 for nine holes and $50 for 18. Call 530-546-9909 to reserve a spot.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee women claim XTERRA titles
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Truckee native and family kick off tribute tour around the country
- Truckee High School Class of 2018 goes out in style
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit