Prep Athletes of the Week named
October 23, 2006
North Tahoe High junior Gerry Bolanos and Truckee senior Sam Deen are the Sierra Sun’s ‘Athletes of the Week’ from Oct. 16-21.
– Bolanos, a forward on the Lakers boys soccer team, scored all four of North Tahoe’s goals in a 4-0 victory over rival Truckee this past Tuesday. Bolanos had to sit the first part of the season due to academic issues, and the time off apparently pumped up the junior. The Truckee game indisputably was the biggest of North Tahoe’s regular season, and Bolanos took charge, scoring two goals on corner kick headers and two on breakaways to put the Lakers in first place in the Northern 3A Sierra League. It was a huge performance in a huge game.
– Normally a forward on the Truckee High girls soccer team, Deen filled in nicely at center midfield for an injured Mimi Precit against both North Tahoe and Galena on Tuesday and Wednesday. Deen also led Truckee scorers with three goals against visiting Battle Mountain on Saturday.
“She was awesome,” said Truckee head coach Amy Valdivia, adding that Deen headed in two of the three goals off crosses. “She has been so unselfish, too. She could have padded her stats and taken more shots.”
Trending In: Sports
- Work to be done: Nevada County economic model is unsustainable
- Truckee Town Council race too tight to call
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Truckee Town Council moves forward with McIver Dairy restoration