Prep basketball roundup
December 2, 2017
The Truckee Wolverines opened the season at home with a doubleheader on Thursday, Nov. 30, at the program's fifth annual Truckee Classic.
Class 3A Truckee would take a 73-45 win over Class 2A North Tahoe to open the year. The Wolverines then returned to the court a few hours later and topped Class 2A Silver Stage 73-45.
Junior Spencer Edmondson led Truckee with 14 points against Incline. Freshman Ethan Flynn and senior Gabriel Cruz each added 12 for Truckee, and senior Garrett Hamilton added another 11. Sophomore Isaac Cruz rounded out Truckee's top five scorers with nine points in the game.
Isaac Cruz then posted a team-high 19 points against Silver Stage. Junior Dalton Pruyn knocked down three 3-pointers as part of 16 points in the game. Edmondson was next on the team with 15 points, followed by Gabriel Cruz with eight.
After getting off to a strong start to the year with a dominant win over Coral Academy of Science — Reno, the Class 2A Incline Highlanders ran into much stiffer competition when they traveled to Sparks to play against Class 4A Damonte Ranch. Incline would struggle to contain Damonte Ranch senior Drew Damboise, who led the Mustangs to a 77-37 win behind 24 points, including a 4 for 4 performance from behind the 3-point line.
Incline continued tournament play the following day against Class 3A Churchill County and suffered an 80-64 loss.
Recommended Stories For You
The North Tahoe girls opened their season on Nov. 28, and suffered 59-34 loss at Quincy.
Senior Sarah Pye led the Lady Lakers with 10 points. Sophomore Anaka Hudson was next on the team with seven points, followed by senior Merrill Green with six points. Green also pulled down a team-high five rebounds. Freshman Alisha Lee led the team with four assists and two steals.
North Tahoe will next play against Owyhee at the Whittell Tournament on Dec. 7.
Statistics provided by MaxPreps.com
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers