Prep snowboard racing: Ryan Murphy, Truckee boys win again
February 9, 2016
Ryan Murphy and the Truckee boys snowboard team won another CNISSF Central II race at Alpine Meadows on Monday.
Murphy claimed the slalom victory in a field of 45 racers with a two-run combined time of 1:08.60. It was his fourth consecutive win.
Placer's Troy Sheldon finished second in 1:11.16 and teammate Conner Sheldon rounded out the podium in third.
Truckee's Quinntin Butler (1:12.41), Charles Blanc (1:14.82) and Randy Butler (1:15.64) finished fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively, while Zach Yamauchi was 16th.
That led the Truckee boys to the team win with 388 points to runner-up Placer's 362. Nevada Union's boys were third with 357 points. The Truckee boys, who have won all five races, increased their lead in the league standings to 114 points over second-place Placer, 1,930-1,816.
Gordon Vanhusen led the North Tahoe's boys in 23rd and was followed by teammates Omar Cerda in 28th and Angel Lopez in 41st. The North Tahoe boys placed sixth with 211 points.
Recommended Stories For You
In the girls race, Olivia Obray of Placer took the win with a time of 1:16.69, while Colfax's Jesse Mora was second (1:23.07) and Lily Worthington of Placer was third.
Sara Grahn-Nilsson led the Wolverines with a fifth-place finish (1:24.46), Maria Medeiros was 10th (1:32.60), Sayler McBean 15th and Paulina Wetzel 19th.
Truckee's girls placed third with 355 points. Placer won the girls race with 370 points and Davis was second with 358.
The North Tahoe girls, who finished sixth (236), were led by Sabina Morganti in eighth place (1:29.14). Karla Hernandez was 29th and Estrella Sanchez 30th.
The Wolverines rank fourth in the overall standings with one race to go before the state championship — a giant slalom at Alpine Meadows on Friday. The Lakers are sixth.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe girls sweep podium at Alpine Meadows (GALLERY)
- Truckee snowboarder Toby Miller claims fourth at world championships
- Truckee boys pick up pair of wins ahead of season finale
- Truckee state baseball, soccer champions honored
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week