Run to the Beach draws large holiday crowd
July 11, 2014
Nearly 250 runners participated in the fifth race of the Tahoe Trail Running Series, Run to the Beach, on July 4.
The Big Blue Adventure event, which benefited from the holiday influx of people in the Tahoe Basin, featured distances of 5 and 10 kilometers, with a course that started at North Tahoe Regional Park and ended in Kings Beach.
Danielle Brooks, 33, of Carnelian Bay led the local contingent by claiming the women's victory in the 10K and finishing seventh overall with a time of 49:39.35. Truckee's Sian Turner, also 33, placed second among women and eighth overall in 50:39.67.
Adam Broderick, 30, of Kings Beach earned a second-place finish overall with a time of 43:54.73, while Steven Glaser, 25, of Denver, Colo., won the race in 40:58.53. Mason Osgood, 19, of Reno was third in 44:37.47, and Holden Reed, 18, of Truckee was fifth in 48:45.61.
Other top Tahoe-area finishers included Tahoe City's Peter Lewis (15th, 53:53.84) and Truckee's Scott Montgomery (22nd, 56:03.70) and Michelle Reed (23rd, 56:05.84).
In the 5K, Kristen Martin Del Campo, 32, of Kings Beach raced to victory among the women's field and was 12th overall, posting a time of 22:55.99.
Recommended Stories For You
Callum Bolger, a 15-year-old from San Luis Obispo, won the race with a time of 19:52.96. He was followed by Matt Freeman, 26, of Citrus Heights (20:03.18) and Brian Keeffe, 44, of San Rafael (20:16.00).
Esther Dreher, 32, of Anchorage, Alaska, was the second woman across the line and 16th overall in 24:00.88, while Lindsay Doherty, 22, of Crystal Bay finished third among women and 18th overall in 24:34.84.
Find complete results here and a photo gallery here. The Tahoe Trail Running Series continues with the Northstar Mountain Run on Aug. 10, followed by the Big Blue Trail Run on Aug. 16 and the Marlette 50K on Aug. 17.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe girls sweep podium at Alpine Meadows (GALLERY)
- Truckee snowboarder Toby Miller claims fourth at world championships
- Truckee boys pick up pair of wins ahead of season finale
- Truckee state baseball, soccer champions honored
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week