Sports Briefs: Lacrosse registration, free backcountry demo day
February 25, 2016
Registration is open for youth lacrosse in North Tahoe. Age groups include U9, U11, U13 and high school. Practices begin March 16, with league play starting in mid April. Sign up at the Tahoe City PUD at 530-583-3440 or online at apm.activecommunities.com/tcpud/Activity search/2562. Questions could be directed to email@example.com.
Free backcountry demo day
Tahoe Sports Hub and North American Ski Training Center (NASTC) will host a free backcountry demo day on Friday, March 4, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. The event will take place at the former Sugar Bowl Academy at the top of Old Highway 40 on Donner Summit and will offer participants the chance to try the newest technology in backcountry ski and snowboard equipment on a short skin track.
Skiers and snowboarders who are new to backcountry travel are invited to try skinning or split-boarding for the first time. Participants will also have the opportunity to learn avalanche safety basics and practice using avalanche beacons.
The professional guides from NASTC will offer guided introductory group tours at 10 a.m. and noon and representatives from Sierra Avalanche Center will present a "Know Before You Go" avalanche safety presentation at 11 a.m.
Recommended Stories For You
All participants must have advanced ski and snowboard skills, sign a waiver and must carry avalanche safety equipment (beacon, shovel and probe in a backpack). The event is weather dependent. Event updates and more information can be found at http://www.TahoesSportsHub.com or at http://www.NASTC.com.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe girls sweep podium at Alpine Meadows (GALLERY)
- Truckee snowboarder Toby Miller claims fourth at world championships
- Truckee boys pick up pair of wins ahead of season finale
- Truckee state baseball, soccer champions honored
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week