Squaw Valley Ski Cross Team fares well at nationals
May 12, 2016
Members of the Squaw Valley Ski Cross Team learned from experience last year what it would take to get on the podium at Nationals. A year later, they applied that knowledge.
Five members of the youth squad raced to podium finishes at the USASA nationals championships at Copper Mountain, Colo., last month — which doubled as the NorAm Cup finals — while the entire team made the qualifying cut to compete.
Aside from 16-year-old Mara White's overall win to claim the women's NorAm Cup title, Morgan Haymans placed third in his NorAm Cup final, Kelly Foster placed first in her 15-16 age group, Tanner Murphy was second in his 10-12 age group, and Leo Brougher was third in his 14-15 age group.
Also faring well in the 10-12 age group were Julia Edmondson (10th), Georgia Birchall (18th) and Katherine Lipe (13th) for the girls, and Tripp Boyer (11th), Josh Birchall (27th), Sven White (37th) and Stephen Lipe (45th) for the boys.
The team was coached by Rich Stull and Mort Nyberg.
Trending In: Sports
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Proposed ice pavilion plans continue to solidify
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Finishing strong: Bellon surpasses 3K career passing yards; Wolverines close regular season with Sierra Bowl