Squaw Valley Ski Cross Team fares well at nationals
May 12, 2016
Members of the Squaw Valley Ski Cross Team learned from experience last year what it would take to get on the podium at Nationals. A year later, they applied that knowledge.
Five members of the youth squad raced to podium finishes at the USASA nationals championships at Copper Mountain, Colo., last month — which doubled as the NorAm Cup finals — while the entire team made the qualifying cut to compete.
Aside from 16-year-old Mara White's overall win to claim the women's NorAm Cup title, Morgan Haymans placed third in his NorAm Cup final, Kelly Foster placed first in her 15-16 age group, Tanner Murphy was second in his 10-12 age group, and Leo Brougher was third in his 14-15 age group.
Also faring well in the 10-12 age group were Julia Edmondson (10th), Georgia Birchall (18th) and Katherine Lipe (13th) for the girls, and Tripp Boyer (11th), Josh Birchall (27th), Sven White (37th) and Stephen Lipe (45th) for the boys.
The team was coached by Rich Stull and Mort Nyberg.
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Lake Tahoe bike ride raises $4.7 million for cancer research