Tahoe Basin Ski League giant slalom at Mammoth Mountain canceled
December 20, 2017
The second race of the high school Alpine season has been canceled, according to a statement from Tahoe Basin League Director Bill Cottrill, due to snow showers and 45 – 55 mph winds with gusts of 85 mph at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area.
Potential challenges in traveling to and from the event factored into the decision, according to the statement, along with the risk of lift closures at the resort.
Many of Mammoth's lifts have been on a weather hold throughout the day, according to information from the resort.
The giant slalom race was scheduled to take place on Wednesday, Dec. 20, and would have featured local squads Truckee, North Tahoe, and Incline.
The North Tahoe boys and Truckee girls won the season's first race at Alpine Meadows.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee women claim XTERRA titles
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Truckee native and family kick off tribute tour around the country
- Truckee High School Class of 2018 goes out in style
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit