Tahoe Junior Freeride Series athletes throw down at Sugar Bowl
January 20, 2016
The Tahoe area's brightest young big-mountain riders showcased their skills on the opening stop of the Tahoe Junior Freeride Series at Sugar Bowl this past weekend.
The event took place on The Nose off of Mount Disney, which featured quality snow and terrain for all the three days of competition.
Top finishers included Ross Tester of the Squaw Valley Big Mountain Team, who edged Cody Atwood and Xander Guldman in the boys 15-18 ski division, and Sydney Gradeff of the Sugar Bowl Freeride team, who beat out Emma DesLauriers and Shasta Longo in the girls 15-18 division.
Manu Barnard of Sugar Bowl Freeride, Max Saito and Gavin Weber earned podium finishes among 11-14 skier boys, and Brita Winans of Squaw Free, Chloe Nicolaou and Tami Schott finished 1-2-3 among 11-14 girls.
In boys snowboard competition, Dylan Zellers of the Squaw Alpine Snowboard Team placed first in the 15-18 division and was followed by Phoenix David and Clayton Pierce. George Skaff, also of the Squaw Alpine Snowboard Team, topped the 11-14 division and was joined on the podium by Bryce Manning and Tavo Sadeg.
The Tahoe Junior Freeride Series now heads to Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows from Feb. 5-7, Kirkwood from Feb. 19-21 and Mount Rose from March 11-13.
Recommended Stories For You
Go to tahoejuniorfreerideseries.com for a complete schedule and results.
Tahoe Junior Freeride Series results
Stop 1 — Sugar Bowl, Jan. 8-10
Boys 15-18 ski
1. Ross Tester, 79.733
2. Cody Atwood, 76.900
3. Xander Guldman, 75.400
4. Cooper Davis, 72.367
5. Josh Gold, 70.633
Girls 15-18 ski
1. Sydney Gradeff, 69.034
2. Emma DesLauriers, 63.167
3. Shasta Longo, 61.334
4. Natalie Seelenfreund, 57.766
5. Erica Backhus, 56.533
Boys 11-14 ski
1. Manu Barnard, 68.300
2. Max Saito, 62.566
3. Gavin Weber, 62.100
4. Evan Loring, 61.667
5. Westan Lubin, 60.867
Girls 11-14 ski
1. Brita Winans, 64.400
2. Chloe Nicolaou, 63.300
3. Tami Schott, 60.000
4. Savannah Sherwood, 58.766
5. Tallulah De Saint Phalle, 57.00
Boys 15-18 snowboard
1. Dylan Zellers, 66.834
2. Phoenix David, 58.600
3. Jesse Aves, 50.033
4. Clayton Pierce, 46.033
5. Sam Shinkle, 42.000
Boys 11-14 snowboard
1. George Skaff, 58.834
2. Bryce Manning, 54.434
3. Tavo Sadeg, 53.934
4. Georgia Harlow, 51.633
5. Ari Smolar-Eisenberg, 50.267
— Results include top five finishers only. Complete results are available at tahoejuniorfreerideseries.com and on the TJFS Facebook page.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe races recognized by nation’s oldest association of running organizations
- North Tahoe’s Anderson, Murnane win high school Nordic opener at Sugar Bowl
- Lakers skiers look to continue winning ways at Alpine Meadows
- Ski wrap: Hurt leads Nor-Am Cup standings as tour heads to US
- North Tahoe’s Lady Lakers ride to second straight slalom win at Alpine Meadows
- (VIDEO) Winter storm expected to deliver several feet of snow to local ski resorts; up to 2 feet in Truckee, Tahoe
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: Truckee police clear scene in Glenshire area, shelter in place order lifted
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80