Truckee athlete contributes to World Cup volleyball title
November 12, 2015
Truckee resident Scott Cross and the USAV Men's Masters Team won the inaugural Global Cup World Masters Volleyball Championship in Loutraki, Greece, with a grueling double final victory over the Hungarian Masters National team.
Masters Team USA earned a second-place finish after the first three days of pool play against teams from Hungary, Switzerland and Canada, all of which included former National team players.
In the playoffs on day four, the U.S. team defeated Canada and Hungary in the winner's bracket final to set up the final match of the tournament, a rematch against Hungary.
Hungary defeated Team USA in a thrilling final match three sets to one — 25-23, 21-25, 27-25, 25-22 — which lasted over two hours.
At this point, the stage was set for the final match of the tournament: a one-set, winner-take-all match.
The U.S. team overcame several key injuries and defeated a resilient Hungarian team in the final "golden" set, 25-15, capping off a four-match, 10-set final day at the tournament with the gold medal.
Recommended Stories For You
Cross has lived in Truckee for 20 years and is the owner of Streamscapes. He has played volleyball at the national level for three years.
Links to the USA Men's Masters Team can be found at http://www.facebook.com/USAVMensMasters.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Truckee man in good health after near-fatal ski accident in Russia
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list