Truckee baseball | Pado, Retzlaff pitch Wolverines past Incline
March 26, 2012
The Truckee baseball team swept a Mount Rose League doubleheader against Incline, 13-2 and 14-4, at Governor’s Field in Reno on Saturday to remain unbeaten in league play.
Truckee junior Aaron Pado pitched all five innings of Game 1 to earn the win, while senior Stein Retzlaff threw a complete-game and fanned 12 hitters in six innings to pick up the win in the second contest.
In the first game, the Wolverines (4-0 league, 6-4 overall) chased Incline starter Cam Powell in the fourth inning, charging him with nine runs in 3 1/3 innings. Truckee took an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning before adding two runs in the second, three in the fourth and four more in the fifth to end things early on the 10-run mercy rule.
Seniors Trevor Auldridge and Jackson Rohlf each finished with three RBIs to lead the Truckee offense. Ty Englert delivered two RBIs, while Steven Baker was 2-for-2 with a double and RBI, Andy McKechnie and Travis Ferre each had a double and an RBI, and Tony Buranzon drove in a run.
Pado, who was 2-for-3 at the plate, limited the Highlanders (0-4 league, 3-6 overall) to one run in the second inning and one in the fourth. He struck out five and walked two.
Davis Bedient led Incline with two hits and an RBI.
Recommended Stories For You
Retzlaff allowed only one walk while striking out 12 in six innings of work in Game 2. Incline managed five hits off of him and scored two earned runs as Retzlaff threw an economical 82 pitches (62 strikes and 20 balls).
Incline freshman starter Tommy Dolan lasted 3 1/3 innings, with Truckee taking a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first and stretching it to 5-0 in the second.
After the Highlanders answered with a run in the third and three more in the fourth to pull to within a run, 5-4, Truckee scored three runs in the bottom of the fourth off of Dolan and Kyle Clouthier to cushion the lead. The Wolverines then added two in the fifth and four in the sixth to end the game early on the 10-run rule.
Truckee had 16 hits total among 11 different players, with Rohlf and Baker leading the way with three hits and two RBIs apiece. Rohlf was a home run shy of hitting for the cycle. Ryan Smith had two hits and an RBI, while Andrew Metlenko, Luke Theis, Auldridge and Brandon Deeter each had a hit and an RBI.
Andrew Carlson had a triple and two RBIs to lead Incline.
Trending In: Sports
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener
- Truckee’s Luebke begins quest for Freeride 4-peat
- (VIDEO) North Tahoe boys remain unbeaten on the mountain, Truckee girls pick up second win of season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Prep roundup: Truckee girls look for fifth straight win
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport