Truckee basketball | Girls rout McQueen in season opener
December 3, 2012
The Truckee girls basketball team opened its season with a 44-26 win over Division I McQueen at home Saturday.
Led by senior guards Katey Hamill and Olivia Duner, the Wolverines’ man-to-man pressure defense on McQueen’s backcourt was the key to the big win.
“Our team defense was really good for our first game,” said Truckee head coach Geoff Stephens. “We were strong on the perimeter and solid inside.”
Truckee broke open a close start to the game by outscoring McQueen 16-7 in the second quarter. The Wolverines won each quarter in a fast-tempo game from beginning to end.
Seniors Jackie Bolton, who had four blocked shots, and Sydnie English, who lead all scorers with 13 points, helped set the tempo. Eight of 11 players scored, with juniors Lauren Peak and Kaylee Neill putting in 4 points apiece.
Senior power forward Cassandra Sawyer chipped in another 4 points, while guard Diana Rosas contributed from the charity stripe. Kate Traeger and Lorena De Michelli provided great energy coming off the bench with solid defense. Hamill and Duner also scored 8 points apiece.
Recommended Stories For You
UP NEXT: Truckee hosts Fernley on Saturday, Dec. 8.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers
- Nevada County Elections: Klovstad, Goodwin, Polivy win Truckee Town Council seats