Truckee boys soccer: Wolverines cruise past Greenwave in 7-0 shutout
September 14, 2016
FALLON, Nev. — The Truckee boys soccer team dominated Fallon on both sides of the ball in an 7-0 3A-Northern League win on Friday in Fallon.
Truckee's Hugo Gutierrez began the onslaught of goals on an open net, followed by the Wolverines' Jose Gonzalez who lifted the early lead 2-0 against a smaller, arguably more timid Fallon defense.
Gonzalez ran clean through three Wave defenders for one more goal to end the half 3-0. Gutierrez also scored again at the beginning of the second half against a scattered Fallon midfield, followed by one final goal for Gonzalez and two goals by Truckee's Max Krengel and Jason Prieto to end the game.
The Wave's main sources of aggression were third-year veteran forward Luis Orozco and freshman Cesar Molina who fought Truckee's fastest defenders to the left corner throughout the first half, though, were unable to penetrate for a clear kick.
"I was happy with the way they played, Truckee's just a very athletic team," said Fallon coach Miguel Orduna, whose team drops to 0-4 overall and 0-2 in the league. "When you put them up against a team like us they look very well, but on the other hand we played as best as we could and we played hard."
With the win, Truckee improves to 5-2 overall and 1-1 in the league.
Recommended Stories For You
The Wolverines host Spring Creek for a league showdown at 5 p.m. Friday.
The Sierra Sun's Kaleb M. Roedel contributed to this story.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Truckee River to remain low near Tahoe City
- Eastbound I-80 to close east of Truckee on Tuesday
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89