Truckee football clinches first-round bye
October 12, 2018
The Truckee defense continued its stellar play Friday night, dominating Spring Creek in a 33-0 win on the road to secure a first-round bye in the upcoming Class 3A Northern League playoffs.
The Wolverines kept the Spartans under 30 yards during the first half as the team jumped out to a 21-0 lead.
Senior Drew Wingard caught a 10-yard touchdown pass in the second half, and quarterback Marcus Bellon added the final touchdown on a 10-yard run.
Spring Creek threatened to score late in the game, but junior George Skaff preserved Truckee's shutout with an interception deep in Wolverines territory.
The Truckee defense hasn't allowed a point since the opening drive of last week's game against Sparks. The Wolverines also have shutouts in two of their last three games, and during the team's current five-game winning streak, Truckee's defense hasn't allowed multiple touchdowns from any opponent.
Truckee (8-1, 7-1 Northern League) will close the regular season out on the road against South Tahoe (0-8, 07 Northern League) on Friday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. The Class 3A Northern League playoffs will begin in late October.
Recommended Stories For You
*This post will be updated
Trending In: Sports
- Injured skier rescued off Jobs Peak after avalanche
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Truckee girls, North Tahoe boys open postseason