Truckee football | Graham Christian voted state MVP; Zak Pettit Defensive Player of Year
December 13, 2012
Six Truckee football players were honored with selections to the Division I-A All-State team, with two of them receiving elite honors.
Senior linebacker and running back Graham Christian was voted state MVP, while senior teammate Zak Pettit, a defensive end and tight end, was voted Defensive Player of the Year. In addition, Truckee head coach Bob Shaffer was named Coach of the Year after leading the Wolverines to a fourth consecutive state championship.
The awards were voted on by the Division I-A coaches.
Aside from Christian and Pettit, Benito Gurrola was voted to the first team as an offensive lineman and to the second team as a defensive lineman, Tyler Griffin was voted to the first team as a return specialist, and Javier Virrey made the first team at safety. Julian Aguirre was voted to the All-State second team at linebacker.
Running back Myloe Lewis of Cheyenne was the Offensive Player of the Year, and Cody Tolbert of Moapa Valley was the Lineman of the Year.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Truckee River to remain low near Tahoe City
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City