Truckee golf | Scibird 6th at state championship
October 23, 2014
Truckee sophomore golfer Sienna Scibird finished in a three-way tie for sixth place at the Division I-A state championship in Elko on Tuesday.
Competing in a field of 47 golfers on the 5,332-yard, par-72 Ruby View Golf Course, Scibird carded an 82 on the first day of the tournament and an 85 the next day for a 167. That score matched Grace Kang (78-82) and Cassandra Ho (82-85), both from Clark.
Faith Lutheran golfers swept the top two spots en rout to winning the team state championship for the second straight year with a two-day score of 697. Clark was second at 710, followed by Elko (757), Secta (854), Lowry (777) and Fernley (885).
Julia Becker of Faith Lutheran defended her individual state title from last year in convincing fashion, posting a score of 143 (71-72). She finished five strokes ahead of teammate Sydney Smith (72-76, 148) and 13 strokes ahead of third-place Kaily Beatty (78-78, 156) of Elko.
Scibird, who is the only member of the Truckee team, also finished sixth in the state championship last year as a freshman, with a 170 (83-87). She entered the state tournament this year as the No. 2 seed from the North, with a 79.1 average.
Trending In: Sports
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)