Truckee golf: Willis, Yarbrough compete at state
May 19, 2016
Truckee's Sam Willis and Airon Yarbrough competed in a field of 46 golfers in the Division I-A state championship in Pahrump on May 17-18.
After two days of competition at the par-72 Mountain Falls Golf Club, Willis returned with a 24th-place finish and Yarbrough finished in a four-way tie for 30th.
Willis carded an 88 on the first day and an 89 on the second for a score of 177. Yarbrough shot an 88 and 93 for a 181.
Charlie Magruder of Faith Lutheran claimed the individual state title by a three-stroke margin, as he fired a 67 and 75 for a score of 142. Austen Ancell (75, 70 — 145) and Derrek Moore (76, 82 — 158), both of Pahrump Valley, placed second and third, respectively.
Faith Lutheran won the team championship with a score of 797, Pahrump Valley was second at 834 and Spring Creek was third at 854.
The top three teams from the North and South qualified for the state competition. Truckee finished fifth in the regular-season standings.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Truckee girls end skid, top Dayton
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City