Truckee golf | Wolverines host final regular-season tourney
May 10, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — While they didn't qualified for the Division I-A state golf championship, the Wolverines ended the season on a high note in their hosted tournament at Old Greenwood on Thursday.
Truckee finished sixth in a field of nine team, posting a team score of 475 between its top five golfers.
Lowry took the win with a low team score of 415. Elko was second with a 431 and Spring Creek third at 438. South Tahoe was fourth with a 462, followed by Dayton with a 464. Fallon (511), Fernley (523) and Sparks (566) also competed.
Cole Erquiaga of Lowry earned medalist honors by firing a 78. Teammate Ethan Gray was second with a 79 and Elko's Caden Bammesberger third with an 81.
Sam Mohun led the Truckee contingent, shooting a 92. Paul Buschmann shot a 93, Brandon Flora a 94, Jordan Fereira a 95, Jared Huey a 101 and Zak Pettit a 104.
The top three teams based on the seven regular-season tournaments — Lowry, Elko and Spring Creek — advanced to the state championship.
Recommended Stories For You
The top five individuals from non-qualifying teams also earned state berths. They include Justice Akerson (82.8) of Fernley, Jake Turner (87) of Dayton, Connor Shaw (89.2) and Tre Charette (92.6) of South Tahoe, Jeff Evett (92.6) of Fallon and Jeff Brooks (92.8) of Dayton.
Mohun posted Truckee's lowest average, with a 93.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- Truckee gridiron great finishes standout freshman season
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers
- Nevada County Elections: Klovstad, Goodwin, Polivy win Truckee Town Council seats