Truckee golf: Wolverines return from Myrtle Beach tournament
April 14, 2009
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. ” Truckee senior Ethan Harman finished ninth individually and his Wolverines sixth in the first flight of the Palmetto High School Golf Championships in Myrtle Beach, S.C., this past weekend.
Teeing off on the 6,400-yard Lion’s Paw, Truckee’s group of five golfers posted a two-day score of 653 to take sixth place out of 15 teams in the flight. Truckee shot a 334 on Day 1 and a 319 on Day 2.
More than 70 teams from 15 states competed Thursday in an 18-hole qualifier to break up the field into five flights. The Wolverines qualified for the first flight, one notch below the championship flight.
Truckee head coach Jeff Froelich said the team’s goal was to make the championship flight, and the Wolverines nearly did, missing the cut by about two or three strokes, the coach said.
“When we looked at the scoreboard and saw how many schools were below us, that was a good feeling,” Froelich said. “It showed that we can go to a national tournament and compete.”
Walter M. Williams High School from Burlington, N.C., won the first flight, posting a score of 632, while Robert Register of the same team earned medalist honors with a score of 143. He shot a 73 on Day 1 and a 70 on Day 2.
Recommended Stories For You
Harman shot a 157 to lead the Truckee contingent, posting a 79 on the first day and a 78 on the second to crack the top 10 out of 80 golfers in the flight.
“It was nice to see Ethan get his game together,” Froelich said. “He’s a very good golfer; he has a good swing. It was just a matter of time before he began shooting low scores consistently.”
Daniel Gelso was the next-highest finisher for Truckee, shooting an 82 both days for a total score of 164. He was followed by teammates Bryce Poulin at 165 (88, 77), Allan Nousiainen at 167 (85, 82) and Will Collin at 174 (90, 84).
While the Wolverines were away, Truckee’s junior varsity team placed seventh in the Yerington Tournament.
UP NEXT: Truckee is scheduled to compete in the Dayton Tournament on Thursday.
Place, Round 1, Round 2, Total
1. Walter M. Williams (N.C.), 318, 314, 632
2. Durham Academy (N.C.), 324, 312, 636
3. Wesleyan Christian Academy (N.C.), 329, 309, 638
4. Charlotte Country Day (N.C.), 331, 309, 640
5. Palm Desert (Calif.), 323, 326, 649
6. Truckee, 334, 319, 653
Trending In: Sports
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)