Truckee golf: Yarbrough, Willis make state cut
May 17, 2016
Truckee golfers Airon Yarbrough and Sam Willis are representing the Wolverines this week in the Division I-A state championship in Pahrump.
While Truckee's fifth-place finish in the league standings did not make the state cut — which was limited to the top three teams — both Yarbrough and Willis earned state berths by finishing among the top five individuals from non-qualifying teams.
The pair is competing Tuesday and Wednesday on the 6,640- to 7,082-yard, par-72 Mountain Falls Golf Club.
In addition to Willis and Yarbrough, who averaged 86.6 during the regular season, the Spring Creek, Elko and Fallon teams will represent the North along with Connor Moleswort of South Tahoe and Lowry's Steven Bosich and Zane Fifield.
Faith Lutheran, Pahrump Valley and Boulder City qualified from the South, along with George Kim of Sierra Vista, Hogan Fowles of Virgin Valley, Jacob Causey of Moapa Valley, and Austin Coate and Ryan Handley of Spring Valley.
See Friday's Sports & Outdoors for results from the state tournament.
Trending In: Sports
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener
- Truckee’s Luebke begins quest for Freeride 4-peat
- (VIDEO) North Tahoe boys remain unbeaten on the mountain, Truckee girls pick up second win of season
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Prep roundup: Truckee girls look for fifth straight win
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Packing a punch: Sierra snowpack gets big boost from season’s biggest storm (so far)
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport