Truckee Gymnastics makes waves at Jake Dalton Invitational
January 29, 2018
The Truckee Gymnastics team put together an impressive performance on the vault, bars, beam, and floor at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nev., during competition at the Jake Dalton Invitational.
Local gymnasts collected 53 individual top-three podiums and several team trophies at the competition from Jan. 6-7, which attracted almost 300 athletes.
Truckee Gymnastics had a strong showing with 44 local team members competing. Deltchev Gymnastics Academy, Flips USA Gymnastics, Gymnastics Nevada, High Sierra Gymnastics, Silver State Gymnastics, Tumble Time Gymnastics, and Tumbleweeds Gymnastics rounded out the region's competitors. The competition was comprised of teams across various skill levels, including Junior Olympic (JO) levels 2-9, and Xcel Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. The gymnasts exhibited poise and maturity as they supported one another, coming in with positive attitudes and prepared to show off their best gymnastics.
In the team category, the Truckee Gymnastics Xcel Silver Team won first place followed by Gym Nevada and Deltchev. Truckee's Xcel Gold Team secured first place, followed by Tumbleweeds and Gym Nevada taking second and third place respectively. Truckee Gymnastics JO level 3 Team won third place behind High Sierra in the top spot and Flips in second.
Truckee Gymnastics' Alexandra Oliva swept the podium taking first place in every single event for her session in Xcel Silver. Xcel Gold teammate Naomi Park picked up three first place medals. JO level 3 gymnasts Olive Masterson and Ramsey TenEyck also showed off their skills, with Masterson receiving two first-place finishes in vault and beam, while TenEyck received first for bars and all-around. Xcel Silver gymnasts Alina Gillespie and Sienna Clark also topped the podium, Gillespie in vault and all-around and Clark in the floor event.
The events have the potential to qualify Xcel gymnasts for the NorCal State Championships this March in Oroville and Rancho Cordova, Calif. The Truckee Gymnastics Xcel team has 85 percent of eligible Xcel athletes qualify for State Championships. All Xcel gymnasts in the region are eligible and can meet the requirements based on their scores at a single qualifying event this season.
Recommended Stories For You
The team's next meet is in February at the Grand Sierra Resort hosted by Deltchev. Team tryouts for the 2018/2019 competitive season are coming up this spring on March 31 and April 7, contact Truckee Gymnastics for more details at (530) 587-7404.
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit
- Truckee High School Class of 2018 goes out in style