Truckee North Tahoe girls finish season as state runners-up
May 31, 2018
The Truckee North Tahoe (TNT) girls' varsity lacrosse club put together another dynamite season, even after graduating six seniors from last year's squad, which placed 4th in the state.
The team quickly filled those spots going into this season, and put together a 12-2 regular season record for first place in the eight-team High Sierra Lacrosse League.
In the league tournament semifinal game on May 14, the girls ran up against Fallon's Oasis Academy, and pulled off a 13-12 victory. Junior Tati Klenk led the attack with six goals and one assist, junior Kestrel Sura had three goals, junior Tommi Jepson added two goals, eighth-grader Maia McDermott also tallied a pair of goals, senior Payton Black finished with two assists, and junior Noelle Seppi had one assist. Junior Holly Dixon was solid as the team's goalkeeper making 14 saves.
The girls then faced six-time defending league champion Galena in the tournament final. Truckee North Tahoe would go on to take a 10-9 win over their rivals. Black was MVP of the league championship game scoring five goals. Klenk had the game-winner and finished the game with two goals, Jepson and freshman Mera Schoonmaker each added a goal. Seppi scored a goal and assisted on another. Sura had two assists. Dixon saved the game with stellar goalkeeping and 10 quality saves. Defensive specialists senior Lana Green, senior Maya Kraus, junior Eva Lund and sophomore Cami Carter were solid on defense all season for the Truckee North Tahoe club. Junior Mairead Allen and sophomore Nina Burt played well for the team this season also.
After capturing the Northern League championship the team traveled to Las Vegas to play in the state championship game versus southern champions Somerset Academy of Las Vegas.
The girls fought hard but fell 15-8 to a strong Somerset club. Jepson led the team with three goals, Black and Klenk each scored two goals. Schoonmaker scored a goal, and Sura and Seppi had two assists each. Dixon was again strong in goal against a relentless Somerset offensive attack with 15 saves. Truckee North Tahoe finished their 2018 lacrosse campaign as state runners-up.
Recommended Stories For You
This year's club was coached by former players Aimee Dewan, Mark Seppi and Siobhan Wilcox.
First-team all-league honors went to Black (midfield), Klenk (attack) and Green (defense). Second-team honors went to Dixon (goalie) and Jepson (midfield). Honorable mention was awarded to Sura (midfield). All Academic team honors were awarded to Black, Green, Sura, Seppi, Lund and Schoonmaker.
Trending In: Sports
- Dayton high school denied request to play in easier division
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour opens season
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- UPDATE: Lanes now open on eastbound I-80 following truck retrieval
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- Red White and Tahoe Blue organizers optimistic about salvaging July 4 fireworks in Incline Village after county denies permit
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting