Truckee photographer shoots Titans of Mavericks surf comp
February 15, 2016
Truckee photographer Chris Turner is no stranger to big waves — or the athletes who make a living surfing them.
A former big-wave surf photographer in Hawaii, Turner was in familiar territory in the heart of the action at the Titans of Mavericks surf competition in Half Moon Bay this past weekend.
The event began with 24 of the world's best big-wave surfers battling it out in six-man heats, with the famous Northern California venue pumping out consistent 20-foot waves.
Santa Cruz native Nic Lamb was the last man standing, topping a finals field that included Jamie Mitchell, Tyler Fox, Carlos Burle, Travis Payne and Greg Long.
Trending In: Sports
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee
- Wolverines sweep Dust Devils, improve to 6-0
- Pain McShlonkey returns to Squaw Valley this weekend
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list