Truckee photographer shoots Titans of Mavericks surf comp
February 15, 2016
Truckee photographer Chris Turner is no stranger to big waves — or the athletes who make a living surfing them.
A former big-wave surf photographer in Hawaii, Turner was in familiar territory in the heart of the action at the Titans of Mavericks surf competition in Half Moon Bay this past weekend.
The event began with 24 of the world's best big-wave surfers battling it out in six-man heats, with the famous Northern California venue pumping out consistent 20-foot waves.
Santa Cruz native Nic Lamb was the last man standing, topping a finals field that included Jamie Mitchell, Tyler Fox, Carlos Burle, Travis Payne and Greg Long.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke