Truckee photographer shoots Titans of Mavericks surf comp
February 15, 2016
Truckee photographer Chris Turner is no stranger to big waves — or the athletes who make a living surfing them.
A former big-wave surf photographer in Hawaii, Turner was in familiar territory in the heart of the action at the Titans of Mavericks surf competition in Half Moon Bay this past weekend.
The event began with 24 of the world's best big-wave surfers battling it out in six-man heats, with the famous Northern California venue pumping out consistent 20-foot waves.
Santa Cruz native Nic Lamb was the last man standing, topping a finals field that included Jamie Mitchell, Tyler Fox, Carlos Burle, Travis Payne and Greg Long.
Trending In: Sports
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits